Your Personal Health Information at Gerstein Crisis Centre
When you receive services from Gerstein Crisis Centre the information you give us becomes part of your Gerstein Crisis Centre record (file) which we use within the organization to provide you the best service possible. A client’s instruction cannot prevent us from recording information that is required by law, professional standards or our practice. This information is part of your personal health record and belongs to you. It will not be shared outside of The Gerstein Crisis Centre without your consent.
The Gerstein Centre recognizes the need to ensure all reasonable privacy and safety to those it serves. It also recognizes that credible service is based on trust, respect, sensitivity and a high code of ethical practice. Ensuring the confidentiality of privileged information is an important component of responsible and professional service delivery..
What personal health information do we collect at the Gerstein Crisis Centre?
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, record of your visits to Gerstein Centre and the support you received during those visits.
Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits us to do so.
How do we share your personal health information?
We can assure you that only Gerstein Centre staff who need your personal health information for direct care or administrative purposes are authorized to access your record of personal health information. We protect your information through our administrative policies and by adopting appropriate safeguards and security measures. We may use your personal health information internally to;
- plan, administer and manage our internal operations, and conduct risk-management activities;
- conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending client satisfaction surveys);
- teach, conduct research (only under strict rules overseen by a research ethics board) and compile statistics;
How do we share your personal health information with others?
With your consent, we may use or disclose your personal health information to;
- communicate with your various health care providers including your family physician and/or other health care institutions for continuity of care, in order to treat/support and care for you;
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements; and
- fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law.